Justine Lacoste-Beaubien devoted more than 60 years to the cause of sick children.
- The sixth child in a family of 13, including 7 daughters, Justine Lacoste was born on October1st in the large house located at 71 Saint-Hubert in Montreal.
- The young Justine entered Hochelaga convent as a boarder. The institution was run by the congregation of Saint-Nom-de-Jésus-et-de-Marie.
- Justine finished her studies.
- Le 25 octobre, JOn October 25, Justine married Louis de Gaspé-Beaubien, a well-known and respected businessman. He owned the Beaubien Produce and Milling Company and later founded the Maison L.G. Beaubien et Cie. He was very active in financial circles in Montreal and became President of the Montreal Stock Exchange in 1932.
- On May 18, Dr. Irma Levasseur began to raise interest among women in her project to found a children’s hospital. To this effect, she contacted Mrs. Alfred Thibaudeau, who turned to Justine Lacoste-Beaubien.
On November 26, Justine Lacoste-Beaubien met Dr. Irma Levasseur.
On November 30, Mrs. Lacoste-Beaubien and Mrs. Thibaudeau met friends of theirs who were also former boarders at the Saint-Nom-de-Jésus-et-de-Marie convent in order to bring the project to completion.
The original collaborators were Mrs. Théodule Bruneau (née Lucie Lamoureux), Miss Euphrosine Rolland and Mrs. Arthur Berthiaume (née Blanche Bourgoin). The first Board of Directors was formed.
- Justine began negotiations to elicit the collaboration of the Congregation of the Filles de la Sagesse nuns in providing the training of specialized pediatric nurses and managing the internal operations of the Institution.
- The Filles de la Sagesse gave six of their members the mandate to manage the internal operations of the Hôpital Sainte-Justine and the administration of the nursing school École des infirmières.
- On November 14th Louis de Gaspé-Beaubien, Justine Lacoste-Beaubien’s husband, passed away.
- Justine chaired her last Board of Directors’ meeting and her last annual meeting.
On May 18, she resigned her position at the head of the Corporation de l'Hôpital Sainte-Justine. Mrs. Roger Lacoste (born Marcelle Hémond) succeeded her.
- On January 17, at the age of 90, Justine Lacoste-Beaubien passed away at home following a short illness.
To learn more about the history of Sainte-Justine and its founder, we suggest you read the following references: Une femme, mille enfants : Justine Lacoste-Beaubien, by Madeleine des Rivières. Les Éditions Bellarmin, 1987 - 271 pages.