The education mandate is divided into two components:
- Training activities accessible to all staff members of the centre which are characterized by ethical reflection and the development of ethical skills in health care teams;
- Undergraduate study activities that are intended for physicians and the various professionals who are looking for opportunities to further develop their paediatric clinical ethics and consultation skills.
Clinical ethics conferences and seminars
One to two conferences are offered to the CHU Sainte-Justine community each year, so the entire hospital community may benefit from reflections undertaken in the realm of ethics.
Involvement in clinical ethics conferences within the network is also encouraged.
University program curriculum
The Clinical Ethics Unit is part of Université de Montréal’s Faculty of Medicine academic mandate. To this effect, the Unit is working closely with the Faculty of Medicine’s Bureau de l’éthique Clinique (BEC).
Along with the Faculty of Medicine, the CHU Sainte-Justine’s Clinical Ethics Unit has implemented a university training program in paediatric clinical ethics. This program is unique in Canada and among the Francophone communities and is intended for health care professionals as well as for undergraduate and postgraduate students in humanities and social sciences.
Training consists of a 15-credit, undergraduate micro-program and a master’s by research or directed studies in paediatric clinical ethics at Université de Montréal. Courses are given at CHU Sainte-Justine to facilitate the participation of professionals.
The program entails 4 sessions with specific subject fields:
- Pdt 6101 – Introduction to clinical ethics
- Pdt 6102 - Ethical issues and perinatal periods
- Pdt 6103 – Ethical issues and complex patients
- Pdt 6104 – Ethics, paediatrics, health and society
Masters students develop their own master’s project at CHU Sainte-Justine, under the supervision of academic staff members of the Clinical Ethics Unit. Shared supervision by directors from outside the institution is accepted in order to foster networking and outreach.
For further information about the university program
Université de Montréal
514 343-6111 ext. 3266